Thursday, November 15, 2018

Story: Connor and the Imaginary Friend

Connor was eight years old and lived in Greenwich, Connecticut. His dad, David, was the CEO of General Electrics and had big ambitions for his son. One day when they were at a company dinner, the son saw a woman dressed in weird clothing walking towards him.

"Who are you?" said Connor.

"I am Elena. I come from the past. Where people are kinder and technology is nowhere to be found. People are happy and live in the moment. They call it the Golden Age," she said.

Connors dad noticed he was talking but could not see who he was talking to.

"Who are you talking to Connor?" said the dad.

"My new friend, dad. Can't you see her?" said Connor.

"I am calling the therapist, you are too old to have an imaginary friend. Something is not right," said the father.

The family left the dinner and the father called the family therapist and told him to come over to their house.

After a long session with Connor, the therapist convinced Connor that he was too old to be having imaginary friends. He told him it was time to grow up and be a big boy. For a whole month, Connor never mentioned the imaginary friend again.

Connors birthday party was upon them and the family threw a big party for him.

"Elena, you're back?" Said Connor.

"Yes I am Connor. I came to wish you a happy birthday and take you with me. Would you like to come back with me to the Golden Age?" said Elena.

"I would love that. I have not stopped thinking about it since I first saw you," said Connor.

Connor followed Elena out of the house and walked away with her.

Connors parents frantically searched for him for months, but they never found him....

Author's note: My story is based off of the story of Connla and the Fairy Maiden. In the original story the son of the king was hearing and seeing a Maiden. The father could never see the Maiden but he could hear her. At the end of the story, the son leaves with the Maiden even thought the king tried his hardest to keep him from leaving.

Imaginary Friend


2 comments:

  1. First of all, I love how you called out our current society for its fascination in technology, it is all consuming. Second, I adore this story solely based on my jealousy of Connor. I wish more than anything that I could be kidnapped back in time, before our technology dependence. However, I do feel that our age is the exact last few years to of had a true childhood. I enjoyed how your story was mostly dialogue, but adding some narration could truly help this story come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaylee! I like how you characterize the father, as I feel like he could be the closest thing to a modern day king, making Connor the closest thing to the modern day son of a king. I think it would be interesting to have more of an explanation for why Elena shows up or why Connor wants to leave so badly, maybe through showing more of his life.

    ReplyDelete

Reading B: Inferno

For reading B I decided to focus on the story Jason and the Demons.  This story was written in multiple parts. By doing so it added a lot of...